Bookseller’s label of William A. Colman, engraved by Joseph Perkins
This elaborately engraved label is signed: “Engd. by Jos. Perkins, N.Y.” (immediately below the inverted “LATIN” in the border; click on the image for an enlargement).
Perkins was born in Unity, N.H., on August 19, 1788 and died in New York city on April 27, 1842. He graduated from Williams College in 1814, and is documented in Philadelphia as a script engraver from 1818, some of the time in business with Benjamin H. Rand as Rand and Perkins. In 1826, he moved to New York, where in 1828 he joined Asher Brown Durand in New York in the bank-note engraving firm of Durand, Perkins & Co. After Durand abandoned the business to devote more time to painting (1831), Perkins continued in business at 4 John Street. (See David McNeely Stauffer, American Engravers upon Copper and Steel, New York, 1907, p. 210; and Wayne Craven, “Asher B. Durand’s Career as an Engraver,” American Art Journal 3:1 , pp. 39-57.)
William A. Colman (sometimes erroneously recorded as “Coleman”) was a book- and print-seller at various locations in New York from at least 1821 until his death in 1850, though recorded at 237 Broadway only in 1829 (see Sidney F. Huttner and Elizabeth Stege Huttner, A Register of Artists, Engravers, Booksellers, Bookbinders, Printers & Publishers in New York City, 1821-42, New York, 1993, p. 58). He exhibited art as well as selling books; perhaps the most notable instance was his display of Thomas Cole’s earliest Hudson River paintings in late 1825, which led to Cole’s discovery by John Trumbull, William Dunlap, and Asher Durand (see Elise Effmann, “Thomas Cole’s View of Fort Putnam,” The Magazine Antiques [Nov. 2004], pp. -159, citing Dunlap’s account in the New-York Evening Post of November 22, 1825).
Colman’s place among his contemporaries was charmingly set forth in a passage from Thomas Picton’s Fun and Fancy in Old New York:
If the taste of the general community for art works remained ungratified through inspection of old masters, Broadway presented habitual loungers with ample opportunities for viewing a constant succession of choice engravings. The arrival of each London packet replenished the windows of our leading print dealers and publishers with specimens from the burins of trans-Atlantic artists. The most popular place of resort with sight seekers was in front of the book store of William A. Colman, in Broadway near Fulton, where behind plate glass windows, duly protected against over pressure by a treble row of iron guards, were displayed the most elaborate products of European skill, so captivating to the sight that not a blooming belle nor courteous beau could pass the establishment without pausing to criticize the art works temptingly exposed.
This label is found on the front pastedown of volume 1 of a copy of Letters on the Study and Use of History (London, 1752), by Henry St. John, Viscount Bolingbroke, in the Mortimer Rare Book Room at Smith College.